Creatives You Should Know 2013: Hugo Veiga and Diego Machado
Creatives, Ogilvy BrazilBy: Ann-Christine Diaz, Published: Apr 25, 2013
Ogilvy Brazil creative team Hugo Veiga and Diego Machado first won us over with their shampoo commercial to top all shampoo commercials. Dove's hilarious "Slow" spot spoofed the go-to conventions of haircare ads, highlighting swooping, luxurious locks, but showing how ridiculous they look --on a guy's head. The point? To promote the brand's hair line for men.
Beyond the hilarity, the job presented an interesting challenge. "Women are the shoppers, men don't care about these products--how do you make these guys decide what they want," said Mr. Machado. "A girl brainstorming with us, Alessandra Peixoto, knew every single type of hair, but we had no idea what she was saying. And we noticed there wasn't a single day in our lives that we used a men's shampoo. If a pink shampoo promises a Gisele Bunchen hair and I'm using it, does it means that my hair will be that way? After that, it was really fun to imagine all those shampoo's cliches with us in the place of the girl. We made some quick Photoshop layouts and the results were super ridiculous."
Comedy's not their only forte, however, and the team more recently debuted the most talked about brand move of the moment, Dove's "Real Beauty Sketches," for which they tapped an FBI forensic artist to show women how truly beautiful they are, despite how negatively they see themselves.
The project, no doubt, will be a big contender at this year's awards shows and has brought Dove into a bright spotlight it hasn't seen since "Evolution," the 2007 Cannes Grand Prix winner. "According to statistics, only 4% of women feel good about themselves across the globe," said Mr. Veiga. "We decided to do something that would move the other 96%. From the very beginning, we tried to look for an idea that could actually prove they are wrong about their self-image."
"We thought that women would probably describe themselves in a more negative way than strangers, but it was just a guess really, based on common sense and women's nature," said Mr. Machado. "It [could have] gone totally wrong. We told the clients, 'We don't know if it's going to work, but we think it will. The only way to find out is by doing it.' They didn't approve a script; they approved a social experiment."
"Our VP Creative Director Anselmo Ramos often says that if you know exactly what you're doing, then probably you're not doing something really new," said Mr. Veiga. "So we like to come up with ideas that haven't been done before, and we have no idea how the heck we'll do them."