Six Things You Didn't Know About VB&P's Will McGinness
The Exec Creative Director is a Level 50 Shaman in 'World of Warcraft'By: Shareen Pathak, Published: Sep 27, 2013
Venables Bell & Partners executive creative director Will McGinness joined the shop in 2010 after seven years at Goodby, Silverstein and Partners. Since then, he helped win the shop the eBay business -- resulting in fun spots like this, which repositioned the website as an online shopping destination; secured Intel's lead global agency business; and launched Google Fiber in Kansas City. An organic food lover and fan of warm baths, Mr. McGinness is the latest creative to tell us six things we probably didn't know about him.
1. He spent the early years of his life with a goat who had a taste for rocks. Living in Santa Fe, N.M., Mr. McGinness lived with his parents in a "house full of hippies." His goat, Edison, died because he ate a rock.
2. He got suspended from school for making a bomb. In the 5th grade, he unraveled some firecrackers and stuffed the gunpowder into a film canister, then tried to explode the "smoke bomb" in the bathroom. It blew a sink off the wall.
3. A family friend put him on Saturday Night Live when he was 10. Unfortunately, acting apparently isn't his forte, since he got nervous and over-acted. They cut the scene.
4. He is a Level 50 Shaman in World of Warcraft. It took him six months to get there.
5. He used to sleep in a t-shirt store. When living as a ski bum in Jackson Hole, Wyo., he taught portraiture classes and also managed a store. He slept on a shelf of fleece jackets.
6. He got a C in his advertising class in college.